Sarasota Storm Damage Preperation
Living in the beautiful city of Sarasota means we get to enjoy pristine beaches, stunning sunsets, and a vibrant community. But, with these perks also come the annual storms that threaten to damage our homes. At Expert Water Removal, we’ve seen firsthand the effects of water damage. We want to share some top tips to help you protect your Sarasota home from the fury of these storms.
1. Know Your Home’s Vulnerabilities Before making any preparations, you need to be aware of your home’s weaknesses. Are there areas where water typically accumulates? How about the roof? Does it have any leaks? Knowing this information will help you prioritize what needs to be addressed.
2. Clear Your Gutters and Drains Water pooling can cause a lot of issues for homeowners. Before storm season, make sure to clear out your gutters and drains. This way, water can flow freely away from your house instead of seeping into your foundation or walls.
3. Install Storm Shutters While they might seem expensive at first, storm shutters can be a lifesaver during a major storm. They not only protect your windows from flying debris but also prevent water from getting inside. Plus, they add an extra layer of security to your home.
4. Check and Seal Your Windows and Doors Did you know that even small gaps in your doors and windows can let water in? Before the storm hits, inspect your doors and windows for any cracks or gaps. Use weather stripping or caulk to seal them up. This simple step can make a big difference.
5. Elevate Electrical Appliances If possible, try to elevate your electrical appliances and utilities, especially in areas prone to flooding. This includes your water heater, air conditioning units, and electrical panels. By doing this, you reduce the risk of electrical hazards during floods.
6. Reinforce Your Roof, Your roof is your first line of defense against the rains. Check for missing or damaged shingles, as they can be entry points for water. Consider investing in a fortified roof designed to withstand strong winds and heavy rains.
7. Have a Sump Pump Ready If you have a basement or live in a low-lying area, a sump pump can be invaluable. This device helps to remove water that accumulates in your home. Make sure it’s in working order, and always have a backup battery in case of power outages.
8. Trim Trees and Shrubs Strong winds can turn branches into projectiles. To prevent this, trim trees and shrubs near your home. This not only protects your house but also ensures the health of your plants.
9. Secure Outdoor Belongings Flying patio furniture can damage your home or your neighbor’s. Before a storm hits, secure or store away any outdoor items that could be blown away by strong winds.
10. Create an Emergency Kit Prepare for the worst-case scenario. Your kit should include essentials like food, water, medicines, flashlights, batteries, and important documents. This ensures you’re ready if you need to bunker down or evacuate.
11. Review Your Insurance Policy Understanding your insurance policy can save you a lot of headaches. Make sure you’re covered for storm and flood damages. If not, consider updating or expanding your coverage.
12. Have Our Number On Hand Despite all your efforts, sometimes damage is inevitable. In such cases, it’s crucial to address water damage ASAP to prevent further complications like mold growth. Save our number, Expert Water Removal, so you can call us immediately after a storm. We’ll be there to help you get your home back to its best.
Reduce Storm Damage In Sarasota With Expert Water Removal
Protecting your Sarasota home from storm damage doesn’t have to be daunting. With a bit of preparation and vigilance, you can ensure your home remains safe and dry. Remember, it’s always better to be proactive than reactive. And if water does find its way in, you know who to call – your friends at Expert Water Removal. Stay safe and take care!