The Dangers of a Sewer Backup in your Sarasota Home
Sewage is one of the most dangerous substances to enter homes or buildings. It contains harmful bacteria and can lead to serious health issues or even death. Unfortunately, many people fail to understand the hazards that sewage presents, particularly for the very young or very old, or for those with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems. If you have a sewage backup in your home or place of business, immediately call in an expert to help you clean, sanitize, and restore your property. Expert Water Removal has the training and expertise to properly clean up after a sewage backup disaster. Help is ready and on the way 24/7/365.
Here are the key points homeowners should know about sewage back-ups:
- Sewage contains a variety of pathogenic, disease causing bacteria and parasites. Anyone who works on sewage losses must have updated vaccinations, including one for Hepatitis B.
- Sewage exposure is particularly dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, including anyone under two or over 60, those who are pregnant, ill, recovering from surgery, on prescription drugs or chemotherapy.
- It is not safe to stay in a building that’s flooded with sewage unless the contaminated area can be completely sealed off and placed under controlled air flow so that there will be no cross contamination of unaffected areas.
- Highly absorbent sewage-saturated materials, such as carpet, pad, upholstery, bedding, wicker, paper or even fabrics that can’t be washed in hot water (130°F/54°C) for at least 10 minutes, must be contained and disposed of properly. This goes for sewage-saturated drywall, insulation and several other structural materials too.
- Only the most highly trained professionals should attempt sewage remediation work. Then, a “third party” indoor environmental professional can provide post-remediation verification or “clearance testing” to ensure that the home or building is safe to re-occupy.
Bottom line is if you ever experience a sewage backup, don’t assume you can clean the mess with bleach and a mop. Call in a professional who is well trained and has many years of experience dealing with sewage disasters. Expert Water Removal (941) 358-9055